Whether you’re interested in direct care of animals, fundraising, or public education we have a place for you. Many volunteers enjoy walking the dogs, socializing with the cats, shelter cleaning, or fostering animals that need special care until they can be adopted.
SO HOW CAN YOU HELP?
We have many opportunities for you to offer your talents to save or greatly improve the lives of the animals we care for. Here are just a few ways you can help us out.
- Consider volunteering your time to assist in the adoption of animals at offsite locations such as Pet Smart or the mall.
- Are you a web designer? We can always use help with web site design, newsletter formatting and/or blogs.
- Do you know how to use a digital camera? You don’t have to be a professional, we could use your help to take photos of adoptable pets and edit those photos for website or print publications.
- Do you know the fine points of search engine optimization for websites? We could use your help with the copy and design tips that will help us to be found online.
- We always need help with transporting animals from rescues, shelters, and animal control facilities.
- You can also volunteer your professional services such as legal advice, accounting, public relations, dog training, grooming, graphic design, or printing.
OUR VOLUNTEER PROCESS
1. Complete a NFAR Volunteer application.
2. When you have completed the application, bring it to NFAR.
3. Attend an orientation at the shelter. Check the calendar for date and times.
4. Attend a 30-minute one-on-one training session with the volunteer manager.
5. Choose which Volunteer Opportunities you would like to participate in.
6. Familiarize yourself with the volunteer handbook
Volunteers must be at least 16 years old. Children between the ages of 13 & 15 can volunteer if accompanied by a parent/guardian during all volunteer hours and are restricted to certain volunteer opportunities. Applicants under the age of 18 must have the volunteer application form and waiver completed and signed by a parent or guardian. Volunteers over 18 years of age must complete our volunteer application form and a waiver and will be required to consent to a background check to screen for registered sex offenders. All volunteers must be able to provide a minimum of 8 hours per month.